Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-24 16:24:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net (Peter Eisentraut) writes:
> I suggest going with four commit fests. Three is too short. We already
> started the first one early, which didn't give those involved in the
> release any time to prepare some patches for it. So with three fests
> you'd only give the major developers 8 weeks to code something for a
> yearly release.

Partial counter-argument...

A large portion of the patches in CommitFest #1 represented items that
had been deferred from 8.4. So...

a) Many of these patches came in with ~6 months of preparation time

b) People were always free to start work earlier than CommitFest #1

c) If something requires a *lot* of work, then it may be that it
gets deferred so that it comes in as part of CommitFest #1 for
8.6, with the very same characteristics as in a)...

I do agree that trying to force coordination with a specific conference
in Ottawa seems like a very peculiar sort of forced scheduling.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ca.afilias.info';
Christopher Browne