Re: libpq URL syntax vs SQLAlchemy

From: Alex <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq URL syntax vs SQLAlchemy
Date: 2012-05-10 20:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have been reviewing how our new libpq URL syntax compares against
> existing implementations of URL syntaxes in other drivers or
> higher-level access libraries. In the case of SQLAlchemy, there is an
> incompatibility regarding how Unix-domain sockets are specified.
>
> First, here is the documentation on that:
> http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/dialects/postgresql.html
>
> The recommended way to access a server over a Unix-domain socket is to
> leave off the host, as in:
>
> postgresql://user:password@/dbname
>
> In libpq, this is parsed as host='/dbname', no database.

Ah, good catch: thanks for heads up.

I believe this was introduced lately in the dev cycle when we've noticed
that users will have to specify some defaults explicitly to be able to
override other defaults, while avoiding the whole "?keyword=value&..."
business.

I'll give this another look and will get back with a proposal to fix
this in form of a patch.

Alex