Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)

From: zhihuifan1213(at)163(dot)com
To: Damir Belyalov <dam(dot)bel07(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, anisimow(dot)d(at)gmail(dot)com, HukuToc(at)gmail(dot)com, Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alena Rybakina <lena(dot)ribackina(at)yandex(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)
Date: 2023-11-15 01:23:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Damir Belyalov <dam(dot)bel07(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> Here is a very straw-man-level sketch of what I think might work.
> The option to COPY FROM looks something like
>
> ERRORS TO other_table_name (item [, item [, ...]])
>
> I tried to implement the patch using a table and came across a number of questions.
>
> Which table should we implement for this feature: a system catalog table or store this table as a file or create a new
> table?

I think system catalog should not be a option at the first place since
it requires more extra workload to do. see the calls of
IsCatalogRelation in heapam.c.

I prefer to create a new normal heap relation rather than a file since
heap realtion probabaly have better APIs.

> In these cases, security and user rights management issues arise.
> It is better for other users not to see error lines from another
> user. It is also not clear how access rights to this
> table are inherited and be given.

How about creating the table just allowing the current user to
read/write or just same as the relation we are copying to?

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan