Re: Using -Wshadow

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using -Wshadow
Date: 2003-11-24 18:32:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
>> Currently, enabling this for the PostgreSQL tree produces a lot of
>> warnings.
>
> How many is "a lot"?

Maybe a couple hundred or so, but most of the warnings are derived
from a few globals with common names -- I would guess it won't be too
much trouble to fix...

> What are the odds that this would produce spurious warnings on some
> platforms due to shadowing of platform-specific functions or
> globals?

No idea -- I'm content to jump that bridge (e.g. by removing -Wshadow
if necessary) when we come to it.

Ok, I'll work on this and submit a patch to -patches when I'm
done. I'll leave the work on the other warning flags you mentioned for
someone else.

-Neil