Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.

From: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.
Date: 2009-11-09 20:18:14
Lists: pgsql-general

> But afterwards, inside the script, you could use su to temporarily switch to
> a less priviledged user:
>
> ... commands running as root
> su postgres -c 'psql ....'  # running as postgres
> ... running as root again

OK I will try this.

I am very confused about something though. Not one person here has
said anything about how pg_ident works or what I did wrong. Is
pg_ident deprecated? Is there no way to accomplish this with pg_ident?
Why has everybody suggested either I don't do what I want/need to do
or that I should do it via the su mechanism?