pgsql and streams

From: "Christopher Condit" <condit(at)sdsc(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgsql and streams
Date: 2006-03-15 00:10:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All-
I'm new to Postgres and have a question about bulk loading from streams.
I know that I can bulk load from a file using COPY. Is it possible to
use a stream instead of a file? If so, and I limited to stdin? I'm
attempting to stream data from a remote database into my Postgres
instance. I don't want to insert each tuple individually using jdbc
since that would be horribly slow...

Thanks,

Chris