Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-12 18:43:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Could we skip the hyperbole please?

> Some of the ndistinct values are very badly off, and in the common cases
> I cited previously, consistently so.

> Once I'm certain the rescue helicopter has seen me, I'll stop waving my
> arms. (But yes, OK).

Well, AFAICT we have agreed in this thread to kick up the default and
maximum stats targets by a factor of 10 for 8.4. If there's anything
to your thesis that a bigger sample size will help, that should already
make a noticeable difference. I'm inclined to wait for some field
experience with 8.4 before we start making fundamental changes to the
ANALYZE code.