Re: directory archive format for pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, José Arthur Benetasso Villanova <jose(dot)arthur(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: directory archive format for pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-16 19:29:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 16.12.2010 20:33, Joachim Wieland wrote:
>> How exactly would you "just split the table in chunks of roughly the
>> same size" ?

> Check pg_class.relpages, and divide that evenly across the processes.
> That should be good enough.

Not even close ... relpages could be badly out of date. If you believe
it, you could fail to dump data that's in further-out pages. We'd need
to move pg_relpages() or some equivalent into core to make this
workable.

>> Which queries should pg_dump send to the backend?

> Hmm, I was thinking of "SELECT * FROM table WHERE ctid BETWEEN ? AND ?",
> but we don't support TidScans for ranges. Perhaps we could add that.

Yeah, that seems probably workable, given an up-to-date idea of the
possible block range.