Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?
Date: 2007-08-17 17:14:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, the main thing we'd lose if we remove it is all trace of upward
>> compatibility from the contrib version of tsearch.

> I don't think this is all that big of a deal. In fact I would expect it
> going from contrib to core and never had any illusion to the effect that
> I would be able to just "upgrade" from 8.2 (8.1) Tsearch2 to 8.3.

I would hope that what we do with contrib/tsearch2 is rewrite it as a
compatibility wrapper. This at least will provide an answer to anyone
who complains that we renamed the functions. But if there are
fundamental things missing in the core implementation, and we try to
make the wrapper supply them, then we haven't really eliminated the
problem ... just moved it over a little.