Re: UUID as primary key

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Vance Maverick" <vmaverick(at)pgp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID as primary key
Date: 2006-08-22 15:14:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Vance,

nice that it was of help.

(When going from Java to the database, for example, it's
> easiest to compose the value directly into the SQL query rather than
> using a parameter.) This seems quite viable.

Please allow me to recommend to you to NOT go this seemingly easy way. I
went there myself (but did it in Python and PHP) some years ago, when I was
young and needed the money.

Those "put Data into your SQL Statements with String Substitution" is easy
to get working in the first step; but gets very very hard to keep correct in
the long run. Please google up topics like "SQL injection" and "escaping
characters for SQL" - it is a source of endless frustration.

Another tip to deal with GUIDs in applications:
Because GUIDs are rather long when expressed in base16 (hexadecimal notion),
I made a transformer to Base62, using numbers and all regular letters. That
shortens the typical GUID from 32chars to 21chars.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare