Re: best OS and HW for postgreSQL

From: Jim Nasby <jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Raul Retamozo <revelar(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best OS and HW for postgreSQL
Date: 2006-09-25 00:18:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:12 PM, Raul Retamozo wrote:
> Hi everyone on the list. I want to know what is the reccommended OS
> to work with PostgreSQL , on specific with PostGIS:
> One more question is about what HW (server) offers the best
> performance for a Web Map Server bases on PostGIS and mapserver.

In general, you're probably best off running whatever OS you're most
comfortable with.

As for hardware, until recently, AMD was the un-disputed king when it
came to running PostgreSQL (and databases in general). But the newer
Intel CPUs seem to have surpassed the Opteron. I believe there's a
tweakers.net article floating around that did some performance
testing with the new CPUs.
--
Jim Nasby jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com