data volume resizing and large objects

From: "beer(at)cmu(dot)edu" <beer(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: data volume resizing and large objects
Date: 2008-01-04 17:06:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All

I recently ran out of disk space on the volume hosting my default
tablespace. As it turned out, the sysad didnt allocate all of the disk to
the volume when he installed it, so he resized the volume and restarted the
database. The server came up fine so I assumed all was well ( the server
would not start before the resize ), however now when i get failures
whenever I try to insert lobs via my application.

My application is written in perl and uses DBD::Pg and DBI to access the
database. The failure occurs when i attempt to call lo_creat:

$dbh->func($mode, 'lo_creat');

lo_creat fails with:

ERROR: large object <oid> already exists

This leads me to believe that my database lost its list of existing lob oids
and is experiencing collisions but I am not sure where to go from here. I
could really use some additional insight into what is happening here and
perhaps some direction in how to remedy the problem.

TIA

-bill