Re: JDBC connection problem

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Brian Tomaszewski <brianbanjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC connection problem
Date: 2008-02-05 13:47:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Brian,

I have no idea why you can't connect but I have comments about running
tomcat and pg below

write a very small program which attempts to connect outside of tomcat

ie

main
class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver")
Driver.getConnection(....

and see if that connects

see below for more comments
On 5-Feb-08, at 8:17 AM, Brian Tomaszewski wrote:

> Guy,
>
> Thanks for the response. See below for clarifications:
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 1:05 AM, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Brian Tomaszewski wrote:
> > I am having trouble connecting to a psql database running on Debian
> > GNU/Linux system
> >
> > The version of psql I am using in the system is 8.2.6.
> >
> > No matter what I do, I continually am getting the error:
> >
> > /Backend start-up failed: FATAL: database "RW_GEO" does not exist
> >
> > /when my JDBC component tries to connect using a URL like this:
> >
> > jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/RW_GEO
> >
> > from a tomcat app
> >
> > I have confirmed that the database RW_GEO does in fact exist as I
> can
> > see/query tables from it from psql.
> >
> > Also, when I run my app on my development machine (windows), I can
> > connect via tomcat with no problems to my local psql server.
>
> I'm trying to follow your runtime environment, but some pieces are
> missing. When you say you can query the database running on Debian
> using psql, is that psql running on your Windows box or on the Debian
> box?
>
> I can run psql (the command line tool) on Debian and using the psql
> tool on Debian see/query the database that is always being reported
> as not existing when the app connects.
>
> On my Windows box, I use pgAdmin interface. I also develop the Java
> Code for the app on windows and then upload it to the server to run/
> tes. Also, I built the inital database on the windows box, and then
> uploaded and restored it to the debian postgres running there
>

> I don't think this has anything to do with JDBC. The URL you show
> above has "localhost" as the server for the DB. That's probably not
> right, is it? I wouldn't think you'd have Tomcat running on your
> database server.
>
> yes, we do have tomcat running on the database server (i.e the
> debian server), is that a bad thing?
It's not good, since tomcat and postgresql both like memory. However
you may not have a choice.

> My thought with using localhost on the debain is that is that is how
> the tomcat could easily connect
>

> So, run psql from whatever box is running Tomcat, and figure out how
> connect it to your DB server.
>
> I have done this on windows. Every thing for my app on windows is on
> the same box (tomcat, postgres etc). When I port the app up to the
> debian server, the connection fails
>

> Once you've done that, you should be able
> to just transfer the connection settings to JDBC. I'm anticipating
> once
> you attempt to do that, you'll encounter a connection error. That's
> because you need to update pg_hba.conf to allow access to your
> database
> from remote hosts.
>

> Ok, so is the real issue then having tomcat and postgres on the same
> server? Should they be physically separate? If they are not, what do
> you need to consider in terms of configuration

No, it's no real issue, other than a resource sharing problem.

Dave