Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Ian Barwick <ian(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-06-29 14:30:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> So, what's the status of this patch?
> There's been quite a lot of discussion (though only about the approach;
> no formal code/usage review has yet been posted), but as far as I can
> tell, it just tapered off without any particular consensus.

AFAICT, people generally agree that this would probably be useful,
but there's not consensus on how far the code should be willing to
"reach" for a match, nor on what to do when there are multiple
roughly-equally-plausible candidates.

Although printing all candidates seems to be what's preferred by
existing systems with similar facilities, I can see the point that
constructing the message in a translatable fashion might be difficult.
So personally I'd be willing to abandon insistence on that. I still
think though that printing candidates with very large distances
would be unhelpful.