Re: Increasing the length of pg_stat_activity.current_query...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Increasing the length of pg_stat_activity.current_query...
Date: 2004-11-06 20:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I'm confused... UDP as in the UDP/IP? RPC caps UDP messages at 8K and
>> NFS over UDP often runs at 32K... where is UDP used in the backend?
>
> pgstat messages travel over UDP/IP.

Over the loopback interface, right? Then why worry about
fragmentation? This seems like premature optimization/prevention. A
lost packet over lo0 is symptom of a bigger problem. The contents of
pgstat messages are probably the least of an admins concerns if that's
happening.

Having a 1K query isn't uncommon on some of the stuff I work on, an 8K
query... that's a tad different and would stick out like a sore thumb.
Would you be open to increasing this further after the 8.0 release? I
haven't heard of anyone complaining about dropped/fragmented pgstat
messages. :) -sc

--
Sean Chittenden