Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-12 18:02:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane escribi:
>> If you want ANALYZE to be cheap then you simply don't get to have a
>> trustworthy value of ndistinct.

> But then, maybe it's not all that critical that ANALYZE is cheap. For
> example, if we were to rework VACUUM ANALYZE so that on the same pass
> that VACUUM cleans each heap page, a callback is called on the page to
> grab the needed stats.

> Partial vacuum is a roadblock for this though :-(

Yeah --- now that partial vacuum is in, any argument that we can make
ANALYZE piggyback on VACUUM cheaply is dead anyway.

It would be interesting to consider "partial analyze" processing, but I
don't see how you would combine per-page partial results without a huge
increase in stats-related state data.