Re: Windows warnings from VS 2017

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows warnings from VS 2017
Date: 2017-09-20 23:32:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 09/20/2017 06:13 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Those are around for some time, see here:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTkW=b_1JVvYWd_G0WrKOT+4uFQjGGrv8osQbUZzXGXdA@mail.gmail.com
>> But there has been no actual agreement about how to fix them..

> Oh. Missed that.

> My solution was going to be slightly different. I was going to enclose
> the #ifdef'd code in a bare block and move the rte declaration inside
> that block.

Of the various solutions proposed in the previous thread, I think the
most salable alternative is probably ilmari's: get rid of the variable
and write the assert like

Assert(planner_rt_fetch(rel->relid, root)->rtekind == RTE_SUBQUERY);

That's a pretty minimal change and it doesn't add any cycles to the
non-Assert case.