Re: 'full_page_writes=off' , VACUUM and crashing streaming slaves...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'full_page_writes=off' , VACUUM and crashing streaming slaves...
Date: 2012-10-06 19:43:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> While the master was still being setup and data was being loaded, the
> system ran out of open file descriptors and Pg crashed a few times
> until this was realized and corrected.

Could you provide a bit more detail than that? Usually the behavior we
see under out-of-FDs conditions is that everything else on the system
starts to fall over badly, but PG keeps soldiering along to some extent.
I would not expect data corruption to result, anyway.

If you've got the postmaster logs from this episode, it would be useful
to see what complaints got logged.