Re: Out parameters handling

From: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Out parameters handling
Date: 2009-03-07 14:08:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It wouldn't be so bad if you could assign internal and external column names.

Within the function you call the column "v_foo" but the caller of the
function receives column "foo" instead.

OUT v_foo varchar AS "foo"

Another alternative is requiring a prefix like plout for the
replacement to occur:

( OUT foo varchar )

BEGIN
SELECT foo.somename INTO plout.foo FROM foo WHERE id = 10;

RETURN NEXT;

RETURN;
END;