Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: "Nathan Boley" <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-12 00:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> What is the specific difference between what you are talking about and
>> what scalarineqsel already implements?
>
> Hmm... Northing new. Feel sorry for bothering you. I did not realize
> histograms are implemented.

Well, ISTM there is a profound difference. For scalarineqsel we care
about the total number of values in a bucket. For eqsel we care about
the total number of *distinct* values in each bucket ( which we don't
track ).

IMHO, the whole idea of increasing mcv's seems a mistake. Why not use
the limited storage in pg_statistic to try and estimate the
selectivity for ranges of values rather than a single value? That
gives way better coverage of the distribution. If the number of values
is too high to fit in a single bucket we put it in an mcv slot
anyways. *That* should be the mechanism by which the number of mcv's
increases.

I guess this is a bit off topic for the middle of a commit fest though.

-Nathan