Re: win32 performance - fsync question

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "E(dot)Rodichev" <er(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 performance - fsync question
Date: 2005-02-16 18:55:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> looking for the way how to increase performance at Windows XP box, I
found
> the parameters
>
> #fsync = true # turns forced synchronization on or
off
> #wal_sync_method = fsync # the default varies across platforms:
> # fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, or
> open_datasync
>
> I have no idea how it works with win32. May I try fsync = false, or it
is
> dangerous? Which of wal_sync_method may I try at WinXP?

wal_sync_method does nothing on XP. The fsync option will tremendously
increase performance on writes at the cost of possible data corruption
in the event of a expected server power down.

The main performance difference between win32 and various unix systems
is that fsync() takes much longer on win32 than linux.

Merlin