Re: postgres and ldap

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Samad, Alex" <alexander(dot)samad(at)hp(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres and ldap
Date: 2006-06-16 08:31:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi
>
> I have started to use ldap for user authentication on my systems.
>
> 1 is it possible to get postgres to authenticate against ldap

Yes. With current releases you can do this with PAM, assuming you're on
a platform that can do PAM. If your platform can't do PAM (for example,
Windows), you can't do LDAP auth.

8.2 will have direct LDAP authentication without PAM.

> 2 is it advisable to do this ?

Sure, I see no reason why not. Beware of insecure password transports
though - you'll need to use SSL/TLS or similar to secure the connection
if you're going across insecure networks.

//Magnus