Re: insert performance for win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: insert performance for win32
Date: 2005-11-03 20:39:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

> > Sorry, I don't follow you here - what do you mean to do? Remove the
> > event completely so we can't wait on it?
> >

> I'd like to use the win32 provided recv(), send() functions
> instead of redirect them to pgwin32_recv()/pgwin32_send(),
> just like libpq does. If we do this, we will lose some
> functionalities, but I'd like to see the performance
> difference first. -- do you think that will be any difference?

Doesn't work, really. It will no longer be possible to send a signal to
an idle backend. The idle backend will be blocking on recv(), that's how
it works. So unless we can get around that somehow, it's a non-starter I
think.

I doubt there will be much performance difference, as you hav eto hit
the kernel anyway (in the recv/send call). But that part is just a guess
:-)

//Magnus