pg.conf re-reading in signal handler or at next return to main loop?

From: "Markus Bertheau" <mbertheau(dot)pg(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg.conf re-reading in signal handler or at next return to main loop?
Date: 2006-03-05 20:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

src/backend/utils/misc/README says

"
If SIGHUP is received, the GUC code rereads the postgresql.conf
configuration file (this does not happen in the signal handler, but at
next return to main loop; note that it can be executed while within a
transaction).
"

SIGHUP_handler() calls ProcessConfigFile() which calls
ParseConfigFile() which reads postgresql.conf.

For me that means that postgresql.conf in read in the signal handler,
which contradicts the claim in the README. Where's my error?

Markus Bertheau