Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date: 2002-05-03 14:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> The initial changes will be to just wrapper all our shared memory
> code, so that I can make use of Apache's libapr libraries *if* they are
> installed ... if not, it will just fall back to "the current code" ...

I think we should redesign the shared memory API (and even more so the
semaphore API), not just put a wrapper layer on it. A lot of the
internal API is unnecessarily dependent on SysV shmem/sem behavior.

Note however that there are some things you will break if you are not
very careful. We are depending on shmem/sem behavior to catch a number
of multiple-postmaster conflict situations. If there's not a more or
less SysV-ish kernel underneath us, those situations will have to be
rethought and some other interlock invented.

In short, I want to see a design review first, not a bunch of
off-the-cuff commits.