Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date: 2004-09-09 16:43:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I thought the "S" suggestion was much better than this.

> My problem is that it uses a letter as a modifier, while all other
> letters are object specifications. '+' is a modifier. We need another
> modifier that isn't a letter. No one knew \dtS worked because 'S'
> doesn't look like a modifier.

I don't buy that argument in the least. I think the reason people
didn't know about "S" was they didn't RTFM (or possibly that the FM
isn't sufficiently clear). Changing to a different character won't make
any difference at all, only improving the docs will make a difference.

But I could live with using "-" to suppress system objects. That isn't
a character we're likely to want to use as a command metacharacter
someday.