Re: Rejecting weak passwords

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian *EXTERN* <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, mlortiz <mlortiz(at)uci(dot)cu>
Subject: Re: Rejecting weak passwords
Date: 2009-10-19 16:12:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 14:54 +0200, Albe Laurenz wrote:
>> I guess I misunderstood something there, but I had assumed that the
>> checkbox item read something like: "Does the product offer password
>> policy enforcement?" (to quote Dave Page).

> The answer to that is currently "Yes, with external tools". Using the
> plugin approach, the answer will remain "Yes, with external tools". So
> we wouldn't gain much.

Except that your first statement is false. It is not possible currently
for any tool to prevent someone from doing ALTER USER joe PASSWORD joe.
A server-side plugin can provide a guarantee that there are no bad
passwords (for some value of bad, and with some possible adverse
consequences). We don't have that today.