Re: incorrect handling of the timeout in pg_receivexlog

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: incorrect handling of the timeout in pg_receivexlog
Date: 2012-02-07 14:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 07.02.2012 09:03, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> What about changing receivelog.c so that it uses time_t instead of
>> TimestampTz? Which would make the code simpler, I think.

> Hmm, that would reduce granularity to seconds.

It also creates portability issues that I'd just as soon not deal with,
ie, time_t is not the same width on all platforms. (The integer vs
float TimestampTz issue is a kind of portability problem, but we've
already bought into the assumption that sender and receiver must be
built with the same choice, no?)