Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment
Date: 2010-08-11 15:47:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On ons, 2010-08-11 at 10:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> How about just this:
>> port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT & 0x3FFF);

> The version number was put in there intentionally, for developers who
> work on multiple branches at once. That's the whole reason this code
> exists. Please don't remove it.

I work on multiple branches all day every day. This wouldn't hinder
me in the slightest, because I use a different DEF_PGPORT for each
branch. If you don't, it's hard to see how you manage to deal with
multiple branches on one machine ... do you not ever actually install
them? Even if you don't, changing this would only mean that you
couldn't safely run "make check" concurrently in multiple branches.