Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-15 18:25:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

How many of the people who find the new behaviour are mainly postgres
hackers and not users?

I remember finding the behaviour *very* frustrating when I was a user
and was mainly concerned with maintaining my own functions. I hardly
ever used \df for system functions.

Now the situation is reversed - I mainly work with test databases with
simple schemas. But it's common for users to have hundreds of
functions - and much more likely that they would want to look them up
by name.

--
Greg