SELECT INTO vs. OIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: SELECT INTO vs. OIDs
Date: 2002-09-02 04:55:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Up to now, if you created a table with

SELECT ... INTO foo FROM ...

then the new table "foo" would have OIDs.

As of CVS tip I have changed this to create a table without OIDs.
I'd have preferred not to make such a change at the last minute,
but the hack we had in place was quite broken. (InitPlan() was
trying to back-patch a decision to include OID header space into
an already-created plan tree. This did not work in any but the
simplest cases.)

If anyone is really annoyed about this, we could probably find a
solution; but I'm not inclined to expend effort on it unless there's
someone out there who's seriously unhappy. Comments?