Re: Regression in 8.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression in 8.3?
Date: 2007-11-12 16:18:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:46:50PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> It surely makes sense - in your environment - but it's not
>> the only interpretation so PG tries to be impartial and
>> makes both of us say clearly what we want.

> If people want it they can add the automatic cast back in, it just
> isn't dfault anymore.

I wouldn't recommend that, as it'd re-open all the gotchas that we took
out the implicit cast to prevent.

However, if you want the behavior for LIKE only, you can make an operator:

regression=# select 84 like '8%';
ERROR: operator does not exist: integer ~~ unknown
LINE 1: select 84 like '8%';
^
HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.
regression=# create function anylike(anyelement, text) returns bool as $$
regression$# select $1::text like $2
regression$# $$ language sql;
CREATE FUNCTION
regression=# create operator ~~ ( procedure = anylike,
regression(# leftarg = anyelement, rightarg = text );
CREATE OPERATOR
regression=# select 84 like '8%';
?column?
(1 row)