Re: Alternative cluster location

From: <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>
To: <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alternative cluster location
Date: 2003-11-17 15:48:05
Lists: pgsql-general

> btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com writes:
>
>> So I've been thinking that the /var/lib/pgsql/data default cluster
>> data directory was an odd choice, since a database, which while
>> definitely subject to lots of change (which favors /var...), is
>> likely neither temporary nor small (which argues for somewhere else,
>> I think).
>
> The /var directory is for variable data files. Nothing says anything
> about temporary or small.

Agreed that nothing says the files are necessarily small, but the
"advice" regarding disk partitioning I read implied small by saying that
the hard drive partition created with the intention of mounting as /var
*usually* does not need to be large. O.k., the writer probably was not
thinking of RDBMS.

>> probably did so with good reason, I'm compelled to ask what do some
>> of you think about the idea of creating a "home" directory for
>> postgres on the partition mounted at /home, and using, say,
>> /home/postgres/pgsql/data as the cluster data directory
>
> Sure you can do that, but it doesn't seem particularly cleaner to me.

Only as an anthropomorphism: Since even though no such actual person
exists, all the database files are "owned" by the "user" postgres, which
is what leads me to think of this approach.

> You might argue that "home" is for personal files, so you would be at
> the wrong place again.
> In the end, it's purely a matter of personal (or organizational) taste,
> not a technical tradeoff.

Thank you.

~Berend Tober