Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues
Date: 2009-10-19 16:07:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info> writes:
> If you issue an immediate shutdown to the database, autovacumm will not
> process tables that should be vacuumed until manually re-analyzed.

AFAICS this is an unsurprising consequence of flushing stats on a crash.
If you don't like it, avoid immediate shutdowns --- they are not
especially good practice in any case.

> 3: What is the best work around for this? When our HA solution triggers
> a DB shutdown, we want it to be immediate.

That seems like a fundamentally stupid idea, unless you are unconcerned
with the time and cost of getting the DB running again, which seemingly
you are.