Re: setting last_value of sequence

From: <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>
To: <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
Cc: <jmh17(at)pitt(dot)edu>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: setting last_value of sequence
Date: 2003-09-04 05:46:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Or

-- Function: public.set_sequence(name, int4)
CREATE FUNCTION public.set_sequence(name, int4) RETURNS int4 AS '
DECLARE
l_sequence_name ALIAS FOR $1;
l_last_value ALIAS FOR $2;
BEGIN
IF l_last_value = 0 THEN
PERFORM setval(l_sequence_name,1, False);
ELSE
PERFORM setval(l_sequence_name,l_last_value);
END IF;
RETURN 1;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

> Perhaps:
> SELECT SETVAL('resrc_serial', MAX(resource_id)) FROM ia_resources;
> the sequence the column the table
> This sets the sequence to the highest number after I have used "copy"
> to load a table; other values instead of MAX() could be used (e.g.
> 123456, etc.).
> Greg Williamson

~Berend Tober