Re: pg_dump large-file support > 16GB

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump large-file support > 16GB
Date: 2005-03-18 14:58:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no> writes:
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:17 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is that a plain text, tar, or custom dump (-Ft or -Fc)? Is the behavior
>> different if you just write to stdout instead of using --file?

> - In this example, it is a plain text (--format=3Dp).
> - If I write to stdout and redirect to a file, the dump finnish without
> problems and I get a dump-text-file over 16GB without problems.

In that case, you have a glibc or filesystem bug and you should be
reporting it to Red Hat. The *only* difference between writing to
stdout and writing to a --file option is that in one case we use
the preopened "stdout" FILE* and in the other case we do
fopen(filename, "w"). Your report therefore is stating that there
is something broken about fopen'd files.