Re: initdb and fsync

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: initdb and fsync
Date: 2012-07-13 18:19:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 07:22:02 PM Jeff Davis wrote:
>> Right now I'm inclined to leave the patch as-is.

> Fine with that, I wanted to bring it up and see it documented.

> I have marked it with ready for committer. That committer needs to decide on -
> N in the regression tests or not, but that shouldn't be much of a problem ;)

I'm picking up this patch now. What I'm inclined to do about the -N
business is to commit without that, so that we get a round of testing
in the buildfarm and find out about any portability issues, but then
change to use -N after a week or so. I agree that in the long run
we don't want regression tests to run with fsyncs by default.