Re: standard_conforming_strings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standard_conforming_strings
Date: 2010-07-14 15:37:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> An actual plan here might look like "let's flip it before 9.1alpha1
> so we can get some alpha testing cycles on it" ...
>>
>> "Hey, let's flip it in 9.1 CF 1, so that we can have some alpha testing
>> cycles on it."

> Should we do this? Patch attached.

I'm still scared to death of the security implications, but if we don't
do it now, when will be a better time? Might as well try it and see
what breaks. Note there had better be a large compatibility warning in
the alpha release notes, and we had better pester driver authors to test
with 9.1alpha1 as soon as it's out.