Re: autovacuum logging, part deux.

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum logging, part deux.
Date: 2006-05-04 14:46:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com ("Larry Rosenman") writes:
> Gentlepeople,
> Now that the patch is out for keeping the last
> autovacuum/vacuum/analyze/autoanalyze
> timestamp in the stats system is pending, what's the consensus view on
> what, if any,
> logging changes are wanted for autovacuum?
>
> I have the time and inclination to cut code quickly for it.

It would be Really Nice if it could draw in the verbose stats as to
what the VACUUM did...

e.g. - to collect some portion (INFO? DETAIL? I'm easy :-)) of the
information that PostgreSQL generates at either INFO: or DETAIL:
levels.

/* cbbrowne(at)[local]/dba2 vacdb=*/ vacuum verbose analyze vacuum_requests;
INFO: vacuuming "public.vacuum_requests"
INFO: index "vacuum_requests_pkey" now contains 2449 row versions in 64 pages
DETAIL: 3 index pages have been deleted, 3 are currently reusable.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO: index "vr_priority" now contains 0 row versions in 19 pages
DETAIL: 16 index pages have been deleted, 16 are currently reusable.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO: "vacuum_requests": found 0 removable, 2449 nonremovable row versions in 65 pages
DETAIL: 0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
There were 2809 unused item pointers.
0 pages are entirely empty.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO: vacuuming "pg_toast.pg_toast_95167460"
INFO: index "pg_toast_95167460_index" now contains 0 row versions in 1 pages
DETAIL: 0 index pages have been deleted, 0 are currently reusable.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO: "pg_toast_95167460": found 0 removable, 0 nonremovable row versions in 0 pages
DETAIL: 0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
There were 0 unused item pointers.
0 pages are entirely empty.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO: analyzing "public.vacuum_requests"
INFO: "vacuum_requests": 65 pages, 2449 rows sampled, 2449 estimated total rows
VACUUM

--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html