Re: Best filesystem

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best filesystem
Date: 2006-02-20 15:41:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

arebassa(at)androme(dot)es (Arnau Rebassa Villalonga) writes:
> Which is the best filesystem in linux for postgresql? nowadays I'm
> using ext3, I don't know if other filesystems like XFS,
> reiser... would be better from the performance point of view.

As far as I can tell, ext3 is the best *supported* filesystem for
Linux, and support trumps performance 99 days out of 100.

The trouble with all the other filesystems is that vendors are likely
to throw up their hands and ignore you if you report problems with
them, and "not getting your database eaten by a filesystem error" is
*WAY* more important than eking out some fraction of a percent
improvement in write performance.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxxian.html