Re: postgresql publication

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql publication
Date: 2007-08-01 13:34:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu (Kevin Hunter) writes:
> At 9:52p -0700 on 31 Jul 2007, Greg Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>>> Considering the absolutely ginormous volume of knowledge and the
>>> number of _extremely_ intelligent people on this list, I think the
>>> problem may be more "instant recall" or ideas than the fact that they
>>> have "nothing to write about." Knowing about what to write is
>>> generally the crux.
>>
>> Knowing how to do something and being able to turn that into a written
>> article about it are two slightly different skill sets, and you have to
>> get both of them in the same person to create such content. It's
>> possible to get something workable out of non-writers, but then you need
>> to devote substantial editing resources to polishing it and that has its
>> own set of issues.
>
> Okay.
>
>> If you take the subset of the community that understands the material,
>> then intersect with those who can write, then see who's left you'll find
>> a small group of people without much spare time;
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know who comprises any of those groups:
> without naming names, how many writers are you suggesting the community
> actually has? I'm not pushing for something that is beginning to sound
> like an unfeasible request, especially since I'm not in that small
> group, but I am curious

I could readily name probably 8 to 10 people who would be in "that
group;" the list of people who have authored books isn't terribly
secret. Various of them (us ;-)) have "weighed in" on this very
thread.

If they could all participate, that would be great, and it would quite
likely be enough to work. It could readily grow itself to a dozen
authors, and that would seem enough to allow a "PostgreSQL Journal" to
work.

The trouble is that writing for a new magazine would be a distraction
from other existing/ongoing efforts, so that I don't think that more
than a fraction of the set would be prepared to participate.

A "PostgreSQL Journal" with 4 contributors would not seem viable, in
contrast.

Better, in that case, to have periodic contributions to (say)
publications that write about multiple DBMSes.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html