Re: How to VACUUM this table? "998994633 estimated total rows"

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to VACUUM this table? "998994633 estimated total rows"
Date: 2006-02-13 14:59:33
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com (Guido Barosio) writes:
> quote: " If you are quite sure it has few if any dead tuples, it might be
> something to try to avoid VACUUMing except as needed to evade the 2^31
> transaction limit..."
> You may use the pg_stattuple software, included in the /contrib . This will show you the current scenery, and whether you shall clean or not dead tuples.

The trouble with pg_stattuple() is that running it is virtually as
expensive as running the vacuum. For a bit table, you pay all the I/O
cost, and any costs of the super-long-running-transaction and don't
even get any cleanup for that cost.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html