Which locale to use for multiple-language support?

From: David Edwards <david(at)omelett(dot)es>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Which locale to use for multiple-language support?
Date: 2009-11-09 10:57:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Some of postgresql's string functions behave differently depending on the
locale the cluster was created with. With the locales 'C' or 'en_US.utf8',
lower() does not lowercase non-ascii characters such as Ü (umlaut-u).

If we have users from all over the world storing data in our database with
all sorts of languages, which locale should we use to ensure these string
functions behave as they expect?

Thanks,

--
David Edwards