Re: Hot standby and synchronous replication status

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby and synchronous replication status
Date: 2009-08-11 21:30:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Dimitri Fontaine<dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> wrote:
> We should somehow provide a default archive and restore command integrated
> into the main product, so that it's as easy as turning it 'on' in the
> configuration for users to have something trustworthy: PostgreSQL will keep
> past logs into a pg_xlog/archives subdir or some other default place, and
> will know about the setup at startup time when/if needed.

I might be missing something, but isn't this completely silly? If you
archive your logs to the same partition where you keep your database
cluster, it seems to me that you might as well delete them. Even
better, turn off XLogArchiving altogether and save yourself the
overhead of not using WAL-bypass.

...Robert