Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-15 22:49:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> On the other hand, I want to look at and search my user-defined
>> functions FREQUENTLY. I don't care about the system functions. If I
>> type \df a*, it's not because I want to see all 6 versions of the
>> absolute value function and 61 other functions, it's because I don't
>> want to think hard enough to remember how I spelled the first word in
>> one of my functions that I know starts with "a".
>
> Well, maybe we do need to go with the \df \dfS \dfU approach.
> But I'm still convinced that setting things up so that it's impossible
> to search both classes of functions together is a seriously bad idea.

I agree - that's one thing that's definitely weird about the new
behavior. Of course, we've had this problem with \dt for a while, but
it is somewhat masked by the fact that \d (without t) behaves
differently (which seems totally strange too, come to think about it).
I think maybe we should make \dt, \df, etc. show user objects, \dtS,
\dfS, etc. show system objects and pick some other glyph to mean
"everything". \dfA, \df!, I don't care what it is...

...Robert