Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "KaiGai Kohei" <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, "KaiGai Kohei" <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Date: 2008-12-11 16:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think there should be only *one* underlying column and that it should
> be manipulable by either SQL commands or selinux. Otherwise you're
> making a lie of the primary argument for having the SQL feature at all.

I agree that we're getting pretty far afield from the original
proposal, but I don't think it's a good idea to foreclose the option
of ever supporting MAC and DAC in the same executable. Whichever one
the vendor decides to ship, I have to recompile if I want the other.
There's a good chance that most people will use NEITHER feature, but
it isn't nice if one of the two is easily available and the other is
much harder.

...Robert