Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing -2

From: "Denis Lussier" <denisl(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Chris Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing -2
Date: 2006-08-04 20:13:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

I agree that OCFS 2.0 is NOT a general purpose PG (or any other) solution.
My recollection is that OCFS gave about 15% performance improvements (same
as setting some aggressive switches on ext3). I assume OCFS has excellent
crash safety with its default settings but we did not test this as of yet.
OCFS now ships as one of the optional FS's that ship with Suse. That takes
care of some of the FUD created by Oracle's disclaimer below.

OCFS 2 is much more POSIX compliant than OCFS 1. The BenchmarkSQL, DBT2, &
Regression tests we ran on OCFS 2 all worked well. The lack of full Posix
compliance did cause some problems for configuring PITR.

--Denis http://www.enterprisedb.com