PostgreSQL Process memory architecture

From: "Ben Zeev, Lior" <lior(dot)ben-zeev(at)hp(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Process memory architecture
Date: 2013-05-27 08:11:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I have a question regarding the memory consumption per process in PostgreSQL 9.2

Does each PostgreSQL process allocating in its own memory (Not shared memory) a cache of all the database catalog which it access during the SQL execution?
I mean does each process holds all the catalog indexes data which it accessed, all the catalog index statistics etc' accessed

If yes is there a way to avoid this behavior?

(I asked Josh Berkus from PGExperts and he said that each process holds memory for sorts, hashes, temp tables, vaccum, etc')

Thanks,
Lior