timezone + DST handling

From: "A(dot)M(dot)" <amcauley(at)bluesocket(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: timezone + DST handling
Date: 2007-08-03 14:12:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a CMS where I display the timezone for international meeting
dates. I store the dates as follows:

startdate | timestamp with timezone
timezonename | text

This works fine until I hit daylight-savings time when the name of
the timezone changes. So, given a "timestamp with timezone" and a
base timezone (non-DST), how can I determine if the date is currently
in DST? Is it possible to get the name of the new DST timezone?

Thanks!

-M