Re: [PROPOSAL] Add SCTP network protocol to postgresql backend and frontend

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Eduardo Morras <emorrasg(at)yahoo(dot)es>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Add SCTP network protocol to postgresql backend and frontend
Date: 2016-03-23 13:03:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/23/2016 01:55 PM, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> Benefits:
>
> Dynamic multihoming, modifiable at run time, don't need aggregate links at OS level or shutdown servers/clients for a hardware or topology network change.
> Message oriented connection.
> Message reliability.
> Inmune to SYN floods that affect tcp.
> Assimetric multihoming, a client with 4 links(3x 1GbEth + wifi) can connect to a server with 1 link (10GbEth).
> Metadata connection messages.

While SCTP has some nice advantages in general (I think it is a pity it
is not used more) I wonder how well these benefits translate into the
database space. Many databases are run either in a controlled server
environment with no direct access from the Internet, or locally on the
same machine as the application. In those environments you generally do
not have to worry about SYN floods or asymmetric links.

Do you have any specific use case in mind?

Andreas